Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vintage Light Fixture Facelift



Little by little, 
the parts of our new kitchen are coming together.




Last week, I added some art in the back splash area 







and this week I finally found a wall sconce for the dining area!

I needed something to complement the vintage chandelier in the kitchen 





and I found a pair of sconces at The Courtyard in Hinsdale.

They are green, wrought iron fixtures with brass accents.


I thought maybe the color would work, but once I got them home, 
the green looked pretty awful.

So I got out my trusty brass metallic paint and got to work.




They have some nice details that you can see in this close up...




Here it is in brass...



I like it.  
I'm not sure where the second sconce will go, but I have some ideas....


To see how this one would work in the space, 
I banged a nail into the wall right under the old, Handy Andy fixture that's there now!

I just hung the newly painted fixture on the nail, for a an easy look-see 
until I can get the electrician over here to install it.



Here's a peek at the two fixtures on the wall in the dining area.
This dorky picture will probably go viral....

Don't judge.

My new table and chairs should be here any week now.
This old set has served us well, but it's time for the golden oak to go...



The whole table was once the color of the leaves in the center.  
Amazing how much it has faded in the sunlight.
I have the leaves in to see how I like the size - the new table will be about this same size.
I think it will work.

And I have some ideas for the space where that little desk is, on the right.
It's just there now for size and storage.

This corner cabinet used to be on that wall.
I might bring it back in and paint it to match the kitchen cabinets, 
but I want to see the new table and chairs in place first. 
This corner used to be kind of crowded and we are enjoying the open space.




The dining area is part of the kitchen as you can see here.


Much more open without that old corner cabinet, don't you think?
(But, but - I love that corner cabinet.....)


The new chairs will be taller than the old ones 
and will be upholstered in this paisley fabric...



It works with the green of the counter stools







I only ordered four new dining chairs.

I have some skirted Parsons chairs in our study that I can pull in for extra seating.
I had them recovered in the same green fabric.

Now that we're empty nesters, 
I didn't  want to feel lonely sitting down to dinner with Mr.Grand 
at a table with six chairs!
Somehow, four still feels right...

Can't wait til the new table and chairs arrive- 
I'll share them soon!





Linking to:
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. It's all coming together so well. Your taste is impeccable. I really like the paisley fabric. I agree, the dining looks much more open without the cabinet. It would look fabulous painted. I have a corner cabinet I'd love to paint, but the husband forbids me to do so! Enjoy seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do I begin . . .
    First off . . . you know I love your new kitchen . . . Impeccable taste as Babs said above!
    Love the scones . . . charming with the chandelier.
    Good thought . . . final decision about dining space after your new table chairs arrive.
    And the lighter beautiful green with the paisley pattern, oh my, I really love.
    You are inspiring . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all beautiful Erin! Love the lights the cabinets and the stools!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!